Thursday, October 11, 2012

Iceland and California

I love lamb, love it and I can't understand why it's not more popular in the US. My Father in law was in town and was desperate to roast some lamb but we just couldn't seem to find a decent leg for love or money . A visit to Whole Foods in Tribeca soon recetified that. They had some Icelandic lamb in store. Supposedly it only available for a few month of the year and it is apparently leaner and tastier due to it being reared in sulubrious outdoor settings, overlooking fjords and possibly relaxing in thermal springs..

Can you detect a little skepticism? I'm happy to say it was ill founded. The lamb was delicious, the best I've had. It was roasted with rosemary and garlic following a recipe from Jamie Oliver's The Naked Chef.

The only red I had in the house was Pinot Noir from Smoking Loon which is my goto cheap plonk. I thought it went well with the lamb but I'm a wine drinker in the style of Kingsley Amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment